Date Revised: April, 2018
Job Title: Field Technician
Classification: Non Exempt, Hourly
Are you immersed in information technology? Are you a self-starter? Do you enjoy structured cabling, routing and switching, telephone systems, and working independently in the field to implement such solutions? Do you want to be instrumental in the success of growing a regional technology services firm?
If so, then you should consider applying for this position with Joink!
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Joink, LLC was founded as an Internet Service Provider, providing dial-up, DSL and fixed wireless broadband Internet services. Today, the company provides connectivity for customers who span the landscape from residential to enterprise using technologies that include leased lines, unlicensed wireless, licensed wireless, and fiber optics. Also, the company provides managed hosting services including virtual machine, web/email, and offsite backup storage. And finally, the Company’s technology services group leverages its enterprise knowledge of networking, software, storage, and telephony technologies to provide design, installation, and continued supported around key technologies from companies such as VMware, Cisco UCS, IBM, Veeam and Microsoft.
This representative will support both the Client Services and Connectivity teams. Work will be varied from job to job and service call to service call. This individual will primarily provide voice field services, but will also support the team as a data field technician and wireless technician when required.
This team member will be given considerable autonomy in representing Joink and completing work, should be self-motivated, able to prioritize and report on work status, and be committed to complete transparency in performing key responsibilities. In addition, this team member should be capable of finding solutions to problems and be comfortable bringing management a problem along with one or more proposed solutions.
- Field Lead
- No direct reports
- May lead, train, or participate in work team assignments
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Participate in documenting Joink’s installation procedures and guidelines
- Install and maintain conduit, raceway, strut, and all other systems to protect and manage structured cabling
- Install, test/certify, label, and maintain and document structured copper and fiber optic cabling
- Install and maintain legacy SMATV head-end cable TV plants
- Install and maintain cellular repeater infrastructure (Andrews and CSI equipment)
- Perform new installation or disconnection of wireless internet service at customer location
- Carry out periodic work to maintain the wireless networks
- Travel on site to customer location to troubleshoot, assist, and resolve problems
- Driving duties include traveling from worksite to worksite
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Communicate effectively with customers, management, and coworkers regarding the job
- Provide excellent written and verbal communication
- Be able to present to both internal and external project stakeholders on the merits of a particular network design or implementation
- Maintain the ability to communicate at both a business and technical level
- Report to Joink implementation coordinators, account managers, and project managers any pertinent project details on time and as requested
- Avoid harmful gossip about issues not related to work
- Document each interaction or attempted interaction within business management software
- Be familiar with the relevant underlying technologies being implemented, their application to the internal business or external client needs
- Handle confidential information—including restricted use of cell phone conversations in a public setting, secure versus insecure email, paper/electronic recordkeeping in compliance with client and Joink requirements
- Always exhibit professional conduct
- Manage multiple client projects with the ability to track multiple details fluently
- Track time throughout each day and enter that time in Joink’s time tracking tool
- Ability to adjust quickly to changing and competing priorities
- Able to make quick decisions with limited information
- Willing to learn new technologies and perform additional duties as requested
- Able to keep a calm and cool head
- Able to maintain a calm and professional demeanor at all times
This position requires travel to various locations and routinely uses a variety of equipment and tools relating to electronics, digital radio technology, cellular systems, wireless, and fiber.
Generally, working hours are from 8AM—5PM Monday through Friday. However, applicants must be willing and able to:
- Work after hours or on weekends occasionally for callouts or cutovers
- Work from home providing remote support over VPN if necessary to support an outage
- Work some overtime as needed and/or without advance notice
- Be on call on a rotational basis
- Travel for one to two week periods for training and professional development
- Perform job duties in all weather conditions (excepting those which are dangerous, e.g. thunderstorms)
- Associate’s degree in an IT subject area (preferred) or equivalent experience
- 2 or more years of professional experience working in a small business/commercial setting
- Ability to perform both mechanical work (pulling cable, installing track and wire, installing mounting brackets, punching down CAT5e) and technical work (IP addressing, switch and router configurations, telephone system call flow/automated attendant/voicemail configuration)
- Familiar with electronics, digital radio technology, and cellular systems
- Ability to use measuring and diagnostic tools to test, adjust, and repair electronic equipment
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Candidate must be willing to reside near or commute to Terre Haute, Indiana.
The following qualifications will give candidates priority in the selection process:
- Bachelors’ degree, especially if in an IT discipline
- ITS Cabling Installation Certification (www.bicsi.org, “ITS Cabling Installation Program”)
- Cisco CCNA
- Cisco UC 560, UC, or ESI phone system installation experience
- Experience working as a structured cabling contractor
- Experience working as a telephone system installer
- Experience terminating and/or fusion welding single mode fiber
- Please prepare a cover letter explaining why you are an excellent fit for this position
- Please outline all work experience, detailing any relevant work experience
- Please outline all training and certifications achieved
- Please describe scenarios in which your logic and analytical abilities have allowed you to troubleshoot and solve problems effectively
Please note that this job description is not a comprehensive list of all activities, duties or responsibilities the employee may be required to engage in for this job. These duties, activities, and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
Joink, LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against or harass any applicant or employee on any grounds prohibited under any federal, state or local law, including race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, citizenship or membership in any other legally protected class.